I tried these for American Psycho, but really they are great for a lot of Horror movies.
- For the cupcake I used Chocolate cake mix and pure white frosting.
- Blood is easy too, cornstarch with a few drops food coloring as desired.
- But candy glass on the other hand? That was quite a freaking journey!
Candy Glass Recipe
3½ cups (790 grams) white, granulated sugar
- 2 cups (475 milliliters) water
- 1 cup (240 milliliters) light corn syrup
- ¼ teaspoon cream of tartar
You will need
- Raised baking sheet
- Large boiling pot
- Rubber spatula
- Candy Thermometer
Mix all ingredients in pot and begin to heat slowly. Constantly stir while avoiding boiling.
- Heat the candy to 300°F (148.89°C), then remove it from heat. The candy must reach 300°F (148.89°C). This is known as the “hard crack” phase. If you do not get the candy hot enough, it will not set properly. Your candy will end up sticky no matter how long you let it sit or cool. It will take about an hour for the candy to reach the right temperature.
- The temperature will stop rising for a moment somewhere between 210 and 240°F (98.89 and 115.56°C). This is because the water is evaporating. Once the water has evaporated, the temperature will begin rising again.
- Keep the temperature between 300 and 310°F (148.89 and 154.45°C). Do not allow it to reach 320°F (160°C) or your sugar glass will caramelize and turn brown
- Slowly pour the hot candy into the baking sheet. This will minimize any bubbles. The candy will be thick, and spread slowly across the baking sheet. And let stand over an hour to harden.
- Break the glass up and stick into top of cupcakes, then pour blood on top.